We Are Hughes -Democracy Indi Style!
Time & Location
About the Event
Join us for an evening of conversation Indi style with Denis Ginivan. Denis has been part of Indi's democracy in action from day one. Denis was intrumental in setting up Voices of Indi - the vehicle that brought about electoral change in their own rural seat.
Read more about Denis in this online article From trepidation to transformation
Indi is the only electorate to have elected successive independents. The way Indi's two federal members, Cathy McGowen and now Helen Haines, came to be elected is a story of true democracy in action.
We have had the pleasure of getting to know Denis over the last 5 months. His knowledge and enthusiasm for community and participatory democracy is inspiring. Denis will share with us how Indi created long lasting political engagement through using the Kitchen Table Conversation process. We will be using these community conversation principles in Hughes. Come and hear firsthand how these simple conversations have the power to turn an ignored electorate into one that has a voice in parliament.
Examples of the questions posed in Indi were:
- What makes a strong community?
- What are the best things about living in Indi?
- Are there any particular issues or concerns that you feel should be brought to the attention of your elected representatives?
- What do you think makes a really good political representative?
- Do you feel you have an adequate voice in the way you are represented? If not, why not?
- What would make for a stronger relationship between people and elected representatives?
Follow this link to more info on Voices for Indi